Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug first discovered in 1975 and was used in veterinary medicine. In 1987, it was approved for human use to treat parasitic infections like head lice, scabies, river blindness (onchocerciasis), and strongyloidiasis. Ivermectin medication has been authorized by the US Food and Drug Administration. To know how to take Ivermectin medication effectively, consult a medical professional.
Ivermectin medication is a prescription medication that one can take in topical form(cream or lotion) or oral tablets. However, one should take this medication as per the directions given by the doctor.
Table of contents
How is Ivermectin administered?
- Take the tablet through your mouth with a glass of water.
- Always take the pill on an empty stomach.
- Take the proper dosage of Ivermectin as prescribed by the doctor.
- Continue taking the tablet at regular intervals as advised by your general physician.
- Avoid taking an overdose of Ivermectin tablets.
- Do not share your medication with others.
- Avoid missing your daily dose of the tablet.
Consult your general physician at the earliest if any side effects emerge after taking antiparasitic medication.
Also read: Is Ivermectin an Antibiotic?
What dosage of Ivermectin should one take?
Ivermectin doses should always be taken as per the recommendation given by your doctor. A medical expert will thoroughly examine the patient’s symptoms and prescribe antiparasitic tablets by keeping the following critical factors into consideration:
- Age of the patient
- Type of parasitic infection
- The severity of the health condition
- Pre-existing health complications
- Reaction to the first dosage received
Let your medical professional know your entire medical history while prescribed antiparasitic medication to avoid any medical complications.
Also read: Ivermectin tablet vs. Injection, Which is the better form?
What if you forget to take your daily dosage of Ivermectin?
If you forget to take your daily dosage of an Ivermectin tablet, take it as soon as you remember it.
However, if it is almost the time of your next dosage, you may skip your missed dosage and continue with your next dosage in the regular time frame. Avoid taking an overdose at all costs.
What precautions to follow while taking Ivermectin?
If one takes the proper preventive measures while taking Ivermectin tablets, the risk of various side effects can be reduced. Take the pills as per the guidelines given by a medical expert. Some of the precautions that one should take while consuming antiparasitic medication are as follows:
- Inform your general physician beforehand if you are allergic to Ivermectin.
- If you’ve ever had a parasite illness, tell your doctor about it.
- Inform your doctor if you have a weakened immune system, you might need an extra dosage of the medication.
- Avoid taking the medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding; consult your doctor to know the pros and cons of taking the tablet beforehand.
- Inform your doctor beforehand if you have pre-existing medical complications like asthma, liver diseases, seizures, or HIV.
- Avoid consuming tobacco or alcoholic beverages while taking antiparasitic medication as it may cause side effects.
Does Ivermectin interact with other medications?
Medications like Ivermectin, primarily used to treat parasitic infections like intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, may cause drug interaction. Drug interaction can make the pills work ineffectively and trigger severe side effects. For instance, some of the compounds that can negatively interact with such medication are as follows:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB)
- Valproic acid
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
- Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol)
- Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Zinc (zinc sulfate)
Let your doctor know what medicines you have been taking to avoid the risk of a drug interaction.
Also read: Is Ivermectin a Steroid?
Ivermectin is strictly a prescription medication that can help treat parasitic infections in humans. Hence, it is advisable to take such medication under the strict guidance of a medical professional to avoid any medical complications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ivermectin is a US Food and Drug Administration-approved medication available to treat parasitic infections in humans. It can help treat parasitic worms infections like strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis. However, a topical form of the medicine can also treat external parasites like head lice and skin conditions such as rosacea.
Over-the-counter drugs are medications that one can buy without any prescription. It is safe and effective to use over-the-counter medicines as long as one follows all the necessary directions given by the health care professional. In the case of Ivermectin, one can buy topical lotions over the counter to treat diseases like head lice.