Watch Out: What Foods Detox Your Body?
As per the CDC(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), more than 16 million US citizens suffer from diseases that occur because of smoking. Smoking is injurious to health and causes various health complications, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), erectile dysfunction, lung diseases, cancer, abnormal blood pressure, etc. There are many more, and yes, smoking does cause you harm, you may not experience complications at the initial stages, but you will once it gets severe.
People who smoke have made smoking a necessity of their life, despite knowing that it is harmful. It is essential to experience everything in life from a person’s point of view but not on the cost of your health. It is on you whether you want to accept and support the truth or your ego!!
It’s never too late to mend. The effects caused by long-term smoking cannot be reversed, but detoxification can help your body to recover to some extent. Cultures, such as the Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine system, had practiced and considered it as a process of resetting, cleaning, and nourishing the body.
Research says, Globally, 7 million deaths occur every year because of the use of tobacco. If the condition remains the same, the count will reach 8 million by 2030. On average, people who have a habit of smoking may die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.
Everybody who falls under this category. i.e., every smoker can help themselves and others to let them know that no such habit is more important than their healthy presence. This blog is all about detoxification which everybody should practice, especially ‘smokers’.
After reading this article, you will definitely be going to inculcate some healthy habits in your day-to-day life, irrespective of your smoking status. It is very important to change your habits if you wish to change your future.
This article is not only about smokers, non-smokers who also feel the need to detox themselves can also clean every inch of their body with the below-mentioned ways. So, without wasting time, let’s just know about detoxification first.
What Is Detox And How Does It Work?
Detoxification is a natural/medical/physiological process of removing toxic substances from the body, mainly carried out from the liver, thereby improving health and promoting weight loss or healthy weight.
It involves both the inclusion and elimination of habits that will help you clean your blood by fasting, followed by a strict diet of fruit, vegetables, fruit juice, and water. In some cases, the detox process also includes herbs, teas, supplements, and colon cleanse or enemas.
This can be done by letting your body perform in such a manner that it starts eliminating the present toxic components from the blood and feeding your body with healthy essential nutrients. This is the fundamental stage of the process; detoxification that claims:-
- Rest your organs by fasting
- Eliminates toxins through feces, urine, and sweat
- Enhance circulation
- Stimulates the liver to get rid of toxins
- Provide your body with healthy nutrients
Why Is It Important To Detox?
The process of detoxification helps the body by cleaning toxic substances naturally/medically/physiologically from the body in order to:-
- Give rest to the organs through fasting
- It helps the liver to discharge toxins from the body
- Not only the liver but intestine, kidneys, and skin also helps in the process of elimination
- Helps insufficient blood circulation
- Refuels your body with healthy fresh nutrients
How Can I Detox My Body?
As said earlier, the detoxification process includes the elimination of toxicants and intake of healthy nutrients. However, you will also need to stop a few habits, such as the habit of smoking, alcohol, coffee, some food items(coffee, refined sugar, and saturated fat), and some chemical-based household cleaners. Instead, try using natural alternatives.
Preventions play a vital role in the process of detoxification. You can’t detoxify yourself completely without putting a full stop to such habits. If you want to detoxify, you have to put an end to such things. Else don’t expect that you can detoxify yourself along with these habits even after inculcating other healthy habits of the detoxification process. This is the primary step towards detoxification.
Here are some habits that will help you in detoxifying yourself, such as:-
- Quality Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for our health. It gives rest and helps the brain store information and eliminate toxic waste; communication and reorganization of nerve cells occur, releases energy, molecules, such as hormones and proteins, and many more. All these things or processes take time to happen, and that time is ‘sleeping’. Therefore, quality sleep is another required parameter for the detoxification process.
- High Intake of Water: Like sleep, water also plays an important role in maintaining health. “Water Is Life” after reading this, there is no need to explain the importance of it. It has multiple benefits. Apart from quenching your thirst, water is also responsible for the smooth circulatory system, consequently cardiovascular health, physical performance, improved digestion, and excretion in all forms. In order to make your body cells work with full potential by breaking the nutrients for the body, sufficient water intake is essential. The optimum amount of water intake is 240 ml or 8 liters. In some cases, it is also advised to drink water even when you are not feeling thirsty.
- Eat less sugar and processed foods: In the process of detoxification, try avoiding food items that enhance obesity, such as sugar and high processed fat. It can also lead to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. The reason behind it is these diseases will hamper your body by preventing your body from detoxifying itself. Consumption of too much sugar can also make your liver fatty causing it to function improperly and may result in diabetes.
- Consume Foods Rich In Antioxidant: The body has an inbuilt function of producing free radicals for the process of digestion. When a person smokes, drinks alcohol, has a poor diet, and exposure to pollutants, free radicals' production increases.
The excessive amount of production of such free radicals causes damage to the body, and it is the antioxidants that protect your body from these free radicals. The body of a person having such a habit will be producing ample free radicals that can damage your body. Therefore, antioxidants are required in order to fight against them, preventing the body from getting damaged.
Antioxidants mean vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These can be easily found in berries, fruits, nuts, cocoa, vegetables, spices, and green tea.
- Add Prebiotics To Your Diet: Gut bacteria are microorganisms that reside in human digestive tracts. It is also known as human gastrointestinal microbiota that feeds on a group of nutrients called probiotics. These gut bacterias provide pathogen protection, nutrition, host metabolism, and immune modulation. Prebiotic are an essential nutrient for good bacteria like gut microorganisms.
The degraded prebiotic products, such as short-chain fatty acid present in the blood, also affect gastrointestinal tracts and other distant organs. It may appear as a minor process, but it is very effective and therefore a part of the detoxification process.
- Use Less Salt: Intake of too much salt will cause your body to retain excess fluid, especially in people with kidney or liver diseases. This extra fluid can result in bloating, causing difficulty in the process of excretion. And excretion is essential in order to detoxify your body. Therefore, it is important to limit the amount of salt intake in your diet.
Now the remaining excess fluid can only be eliminated with water. Therefore, in order to remove excess salt and fluid, increase the intake of water. Doing so reduces the secretion of antidiuretic hormone and increases urination, eliminating water along with excess fluid and salt.
- Be Active: Being active means physical exercise helps you live longer and prevents you from complications, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and reduces inflammation in the key points. It also improves the detoxification of blood through a better circulatory system, the immune system making you strong,, and as well as excretion.
It is advised to perform one to two hours of physical workout every day. This will help your body to keep you healthy. It lowers the rate of inflammation and helps in detoxification.
Physical activity, such as yoga, jumping rope, martial arts exercises, can also stimulate digestion and excretion.
- Start Your Day With A Lemon: You must have experienced thirst while sleeping or after sleep. Ever thought of why? During sleep, your body takes care of itself by working on various activities, including detoxification, and gets dehydrated. Therefore, you feel thirsty during or after sleep.
In order to overcome this, it is important to hydrate your body with warm water and fresh lemon squeezed in it. After sleep, the first thing you need to do is to hydrate yourself with this simple technique. Lemon juice also helps your liver and digestion to function well, resulting in good digestion and excretion.
- Brush your Skin: Try brushing your skin in a few days a week before taking a shower with a soft-bristled brush. Doing so will help your skin slough off old cells and debris, unclogging pores helping the skin to perspire freely. Clear skin stimulates the circulation beneath your skin resulting in better cellular renewal and vitality. Clear skin enhances sweat and helps in eliminating excess salt and fluid.
How Will You Know If You Need To Detox?
Usually, it is recommended that a person should detoxify himself at least once a year. But in case you have any medical complications, it is best to consult the doctor first. Here is a list of symptoms that will help you to know whether you need to detoxify yourself or not, such as:-
- Skin irritation
- Unexplained fatigue
- Low-grade infection
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
- Often mentally disturbed
- Menstrual problem
The Bottom Line
Detoxification is something that every human body goes through after some point in time at its ease. The process of detox helps your body perform this natural process more effectively in every manner.