Dapsone 100 Mg
What Is Dapsone 100 Mg?
Dapsone is a type of medicine called antiepileptic medicine that helps in the treatment of leprosy and acne also known as pimples. The medicine works by controlling the growth of the disease-causing organisms in the body. It also helps in reducing the redness and swelling that occurs due to acne.
One should always consume Dapsone 100 as prescribed by the doctor at the same duration of time. There is no trouble in consuming the medicine with or without food but do not skip or overdose with the drug. In case you missed sometimes, simply take the next dose as scheduled.
Some people may experience skin rash and fever as some of the common side effects that may or may not bother you. People with hypersensitivity should consume Dapsone 100 with care.
What Is Dapsone 100 mg Used For?
Dapsone is a type of medicine called antiepileptic medicine that helps in the treatment of leprosy and acne.
- Leprosy: It is a type of chronic infectious disease that causes skin lesions and may damage your nerves. It is caused by mycobacterium leprae that mainly affects the skin, the peripheral nerves, mucosal surfaces of the upper respiratory tract and the eyes. Dapsone 100 is an antibiotic medicine with a combination of some other salts that makes it ideal for treating leprosy. It may take time to cure such infection because the treatment with Dapsone starts with the small dosage which gets further increased with time. Although, once the effective dose is reached the medicine will start to work more efficiently.
- Acne: Dapsone 100 mg is an antibiotic medicine that works on controlling the growth of bacteria that are responsible for the cause of acne on the skin. It may take several weeks to reduce the symptoms of acne as the medicine cannot be directly prescribed with its higher dose. With the proper use of medicine, your skin will get more clear. The earlier you start consuming the medicine, the lesser is the chance of getting scars.
Who Manufactures Dapsone 100 Mg?
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd is an Indian subsidiary of GlaxoSmithKline plc that manufactures Dapsone 100. It is the world's leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. It is the oldest pharmaceuticals company in India with a portfolio that includes prescription medicines and vaccines.
With the help of Glaxo Wellcome plc and SmithKline Beecham plc, the company played a vital role in the growth of the healthcare industry for almost a century. It has been a leader in India since inception, with a history replete with breakthrough innovations. The company has now set benchmarks in conducting business responsibly, including how we research, develop, sell, and market our products.
As a global corporation, we have a standard Code of Conduct worldwide. The company ethically conducts our business and also engages stakeholders directly to understand and prioritise the issues that are important to them. Their policies on ethics, bribery and corruption cover all our stakeholders.
Strengths Of Dapsone 100 Mg
By the term Dapsone 100 Mg, it means a medicine with a brand name Dapsone has 100 Mg of Dapsone salt composition in its one tablet. However, we can say Dapsone has a strength of 100 Mg. The medicine is available in other strengths as well so that it can be used according to the severity, such as:-
- Dapsone 100 mg
- Dapsone 50mg
- Dapsone 25 mg
Possible Side Effects Of Dapsone 100 mg
Along with the necessary effects, the drug may show some of the unwanted side effects. This will occur only when you will start consuming the medicine without following the instructions given by the doctor. The possible side effects that may occur while consuming Dapsone 100 Mg are as follows:-
- Back, leg, or stomach pains
- Bluish fingernails, lips, or skin
- Difficulty while breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Pale skin
- Rashes on the skin
- Uncertain tiredness or weakness
- Itching, dryness, redness, scaling, or peeling of the skin, or loss of hair
- Mood or other mental changes
- Numbness, tingling, pain, burning, or weakness in hands or feet
- The throat may turn sore
- Uncertain bleeding or bruising
- Yellow eyes or skin
Some of the side effects may not require medical attention as they usually get resolved with the end of the treatment. In some cases, the body adjusts itself with the complications occurring during the treatment. Consult with the doctor about such complications, such as:-
- loss of appetite
- nausea or vomiting
- trouble in sleeping
What Are The Medicines That Interact With Dapsone 100 Mg?
Interaction occurs when two chemicals react. Some of the chemicals or medicines show interactions with the salt composition, Dapsone 100 and cause unwanted side effects. Thus, make sure you go through the below-mentioned list of medicines before consuming Dapsone 100 mg. There is a total of 170 known drugs that interact with the Dapsone which is categorised as:-
- 10 drugs show major interactions
- 158 drugs interact moderately
- 2 drugs have minor interactions
The drugs that commonly interact with Dapsone are as follows:-
- Ambien (zolpidem)
- Aspirin Low Strength (aspirin)
- Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim)
- CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil)
- Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- Lasix (furosemide)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Nexium (esomeprazole)
- Norvir (ritonavir)
- Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
- Prezista (darunavir)
- Prograf (tacrolimus)
- Synthroid (levothyroxine)
- Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Valcyte (valganciclovir)
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
- Xanax (alprazolam)
- Zofran (ondansetron)
- Zyrtec (cetirizine)
What Are The Diseases That Interact With Dapsone 100 mg?
There are two known diseases that show interactions with Dapsone 100, such as:-
- Bone marrow suppression
- Liver disease
How To Consume Dapsone 100?
Always follow the instruction provided by the doctor for consuming Dapsone 100 mg. It is because some alteration in the dose of some medicines is bearable but not in case of Dapsone, the dose should be increased gradually. Thus, always consume the medicine according to the doctor instructions. Try to swallow the medicine entirely without chewing or crushing the drug. There is no problem in consuming the medicine with or without food. But it is always recommended to have the drug at a regular interval of time.
Dapsone is an antiepileptic medication that works on reducing the growth of folic acid and certain bacterias that contributes to the growth of acne and Leprosy.
Precautions While Consuming Dapsone 100 Mg
There are some points that you should keep in mind while consuming Dapsone 100 Mg
- One should not use Dapsone 100 Mg in case you are allergic to it.
- Consult with the doctor before consuming Dapsone 100 on children as some of the brands of the same group of medicine are not meant for the use of children.
- Dapsone 100 mg should not be consumed in case you are pregnant or planning for breastfeeding your baby. You should consult with the doctor in order to know more about the interaction of the drug in such cases.
- Remember to inform the doctor if you have a history of Hypersensitivity to sulfa drugs
- People with some complications, such as bone marrow suppression and liver disease should consult with the doctor.
- Dapsone 100 mg may result in skin rash, photosensitivity reaction, severe itching, etc. in some patients. In very rare cases severe skin sensitivity may also occur which can further lead to stevens-johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis.
- In order to monitor the functioning of the medicine, the doctor may ask you to go for regular monitoring of blood count.
- Consuming this medicine for a long period of time or repeatedly can lead to secondary infections. Consult with the doctor in case you start to experience symptoms of secondary infection.
- People with methemoglobin reductase deficiency should carefully consume Dapsone 100 as it increases the risk of hemolytic anaemia. It is a condition in which the red blood cells get destroyed.
- Patients with Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase(G6PD) should carefully consume Dapsone 100 as it increases the risk of hemolytic anaemia. Consult with the doctor if you fall under this condition.
What to do in case of an overdose of the medicine?
Overdose of Dapsone 100 Mg may include excessive redness, peeling, and discomfort. In such cases or if you feel any severe symptoms, call immediately at the poison control centre. The United States people can call the poison control centre at 1800-222-1222.
Storage of Dapsone 100 Mg
Keep Dapsone 100 closed at room temperature away from heat, moisture, direct light, and children. Do not freeze the medicine. In case you need any further details regarding the handling of the medicine, do consult the doctor.