Cozaar is a drug that falls under a group of medicines called angiotensin II receptor antagonists(also known as ARB blockers). Cozaar generic name is Losartan that keeps the blood vessels from narrowing, resulting in low blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Cozaar is also used to cure hypertension in adults and children older than 6 years. It also lowers the risk of stroke in people suffering from heart disease. Not only this it also reduces the long-term kidney damage in people who have type 2 diabetes have high blood pressure.
Points To Remember
- Note that avoid taking Cozaar if you are expecting a baby. Losartan present in Cozaar can cause injury or death to the unborn baby at the time of the second or third trimester.
- If you are a diabetic patient, avoid taking Cozaar because it should be used with medications that contain Aliskiren(a blood pressure medicine).
- People having kidney diseases should avoid taking Cozaar as they consume aliskiren for kidney disease treatment.
- In some cases, Cozaar results in the breakdown of skeletal muscles that can lead to kidney failure. Immediately, consult your doctor if you experience the symptoms, such as muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, fever, unusual tiredness, and dark-colored urine.
- To play safe, do inform your doctor about the following points if you have:-
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Congestive heart failure
- An electrolyte imbalance(High level of potassium in the blood)
- Been consuming a low salt diet
- Been experiencing dehydration
- You should avoid breastfeeding when taking Cozaar.
- Cozaar is strictly prohibited for children younger than 6 years.
How To Consume Cozaar Tablet?
Always try to take the Cozaar according to the prescription provided by your doctor. Sincerely follow the instructions provided by your doctor and the medication guides or instruction sheets. You can take Cozaar orally with or without food.
Immediately call your doctor if you start experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, or if you are sweating unusually. Keep focusing on your water intake while taking Cozaar because it may lead to dehydration. Dehydration can further result in severe electrolyte imbalance or kidney failure.
If you are taking Cozaar, develop a habit of checking your blood pressure regularly along with few blood and urine tests.
Cozaar may treat your blood pressure issue within a period of 3 to 6 weeks. It will help you control your blood pressure and, for best results, keep following the instructions provided by your doctor. Do not avoid consulting your doctor if you didn’t find and improvement in your condition.
Please note that even if your high blood pressure is under control and feel good, do not stop using the medicine. High blood pressure patients do not show any symptoms of hypertension and may need to use the drug for the rest of the life.
Always store the medicine at room temperature away from the moisture, heat, and light.
What Is The Ideal Cozaar Dosage?
The initial causal dose of Cozaar 50 mg should be taken once daily that can be increased to 100 mg every day to control your blood pressure. Cozaar 25mg every day is recommended for patients with possible intravascular depletion (diuretic therapy).
Dosage can be adjusted within the ideal range according to the doctor and your medical condition(blood pressure). The usual suggested initial dose is 0.7 mg per kg every day taken orally.
- The optimum dose of Cozaar for Diabetic Nephropathy in adults
The ideal Cozaar dose ranges from 50 mg once a day to 100 mg once in a day. People suffering from hypertensive with left ventricular hypertrophy or type 2 diabetic nephropathy require titration from initial dose to maximum dose once a day.
What Happens If I Miss A Dose?
Take medicine as soon as you remember or mistakenly missed one dose, but if it is almost time for the next dose, avoid taking two doses simultaneously.
What Happens If I Overdose?
If you got an overdose of Cozaar, immediately seek medical attention or call the Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222.
Do I Need To Avoid Anything While Taking Cozaar?
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Cozaar as it can lower the blood pressure and may enhance some side effects.
Please note, do not take potassium supplements or salt substitutes, until and unless your doctor tells you.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Cozaar?
Cozaar(losartan) is a drug containing chemical composition that has significant effects along with some unwanted effects. But not all the side effects may occur with everyone. If they occur, you have to seek medical attention. Such adverse side effects are as follows:-
- Common Symptoms
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Pain in bladder
- Blood in urine
- Blurred vision
- Chills and cold sweats
- Cool, pale skin
- Difficult breathing
- Severe, burning, or painful urination
- Fast heartbeat
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Increased hunger
- Irregular heartbeat
- Lower back or side pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Numbness in the hands, feet, or lips
- Pale skin
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Troubled breathing with exertion
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Weakness or heaviness of the legs
- Rare Symptoms
- Pain in the arm, back, or jaw
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Chest tightness or heaviness
- Dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness on getting up quickly from a lying or sitting position
- Fast, irregular, pounding or racing heartbeat or pulse
- Inability in speaking
- Pain in the arms, jaw, back, or neck
- Severe or sudden headache
- Temporary blindness
- Unsteadiness or awkwardness
- Weakness in the arm or leg
- Incidence not known
- Black, tarry stools
- Bleeding gums
- Dark urine
- Difficulty in swallowing
- General tiredness and weakness
- Significant, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- Light-colored stools
- Muscle cramps or spasms
- Muscle pain or stiffness
- Pinpoint red spots on the skin
- Skin rash
- Upper right abdominal or stomach pain
- Yellow eyes and skin
Some side effects may occur but do not need any special medical attention to get cured. Your doctor will inform you about such symptoms:-
- General Symptoms
- Visual issues
- Body aches or pain
- Dry cough
- Ear congestion
- Loss of voice
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Less common
- Acid or sour stomach
- Back pain
- Difficulty with moving
- Increased sensitivity to pain
- Increased sensitivity to touch
- Joint pain
- Lack of strength
- Pain in the knees or legs
- Pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- Stomach upset
- Swollen joints
- Trouble sleeping
- Weight gain
- Rare Symptoms
- Ankle, knee, or great toe joint pain
- Change or loss of taste
- Difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- Dry skin
- Excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- Hair loss or thinning of the hair
- Hearing loss
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- Loss of appetite
- Gastric problem
- Redness or other discoloration of the skin
- Severe sunburn
- Weight loss
How Does Cozaar Interact?
Cozaar interact with 271 known drugs that are categorized as:-
- 27 drugs show significant interactions
- 231 drugs show moderate interactions
- 13 minor drug interactions
Here is a list of medicines that frequently interact:-
- Motrin (Ibuprofen)
- Viagra (sildenafil)
- Vitamin D3(cholecalciferol)
Cozaar also do interactions with diseases which includes:-
- Renal artery stenosis
- Renal impairment
- Renal/Liver disease
How Much Does The Cozaar Costs?
Cozaar is a drug used to treat diabetic kidney disease and high blood pressure whose price is based on Drugs.com, which is accepted at most of the U.S pharmacies. The Cozaar price 25mg oral tablets are around $270 for 90 tablets, which may vary with the pharmacies.